| Rockville Office 301.838.9400 | Fairfax Office 703.352.7333 | Laurel Office 301.369.9155 | Towson Office 410.825.7360 |

Marsh & McLennan Agency, known locally as Insurance Associates Blog: Title

Marsh & McLennan Agency, known locally as Insurance Associates Blog

Do You Have the Right Coverage for a Hurricane?

If you’re like most of us, your home is your most important investment. It’s where your money is. This is why you have a homeowner’s insurance policy to protect it. However, even the best home insurance won’t pay for every kind of damage.

Right now, if you live in hurricane territory, understanding what your homeowner’s policy will and won’t cover is key to finding the right insurance. If you’re in the East Coast threat zone, you should develop or firm up your hurricane preparedness plan and be ready to implement it if necessary. Residents in coastal areas should follow evacuation orders from local officials because of the potential for life-threatening storm surge flooding, damaging wind, and catastrophic rainfall amounts.

Hurricanes bring two main problems: Water and Wind. Depending on where you live or maintain a home, you may need to purchase these separate policies in order to cover hurricane damage:

  • Flood Insurance: No homeowner’s insurance policy will cover floods, including water from a storm surge or large amounts of rain. In order to get this coverage, you will need to obtain flood insurance.
  • Windstorm Insurance: Homeowners insurance policies in some hurricane-prone states won’t pay for windstorm damage. If you live in one of these states and want coverage, you will need a separate windstorm insurance policy.

A homeowner’s insurance policy won’t cover flood damage caused by a hurricane; it won’t cover flooding, period.  If you live in a flood prone zone MMA, a Marsh & McLennan Agency, may be able to provide the risk assurance you want.

In most states, standard homeowner’s policies cover damage caused by wind, including hurricanes. But if you live in a high-risk coastal state, you may need to buy separate windstorm insurance or it may be available as a rider on your current policy. Windstorm insurance covers damage from any high wind, not just hurricanes.

Please contact us (Kristy Kuykendall at 703-352-8214, KKuykendall@insassoc.com) if you would like to address any of your additional risk management issues.

Information about the Author: Kristy is the Personal Lines Account Executive at Marsh & McLennan Agency, known locally as Insurance Associates. In this role she applies a client-centric approach to developing insurance solutions and a long-term commitment to client relationships. She specializes in personal insurance for individuals ranging from homeowners to specialty lines including fine jewelry and art work, to vacation yachts.  Kristy is dedicated to providing personalized and knowledgeable service.  When away from the office, Kristy enjoys the outdoor life, cooking and spending time with her family.

Leave a Reply

Print This Blog Post Print This Blog Post